Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Son of a Son of a Sailor from Rick Peters

While doing my daily check of the Star Class website this morning I was saddened to learn of Trapper's passing. During my day I recollected a few images of him from the time we spent together at Star regattas.

Telling his story about Tom Blackaller coming to visit the shop. Trapper was hauling the wooden keel mold around on his back pretending he was going to collapse at any moment, telling Tom "It's OK, I got it, no problem, just getting your new Star finished up!". Blackaller was horrified, thinking that it was an actual cast iron keel, "What kind of shop are the Lippincotts running here", also wondering "What had they been feeding him"!

Nobody in the Star Class knew how to stock a trailer box better than Trapper, even though he tended to wear his shiny silver spandex hiking suit much later into cocktail hour than the rest of us!

I will always remember Trapper as an unassuming character, full of life, happy just to be there, always willing to lend a hand, and quick with a funny story.

Sail On

No comments: