Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Sailor's Life...

A sailor's life these days has changed
not what it used to be
among those things now re-arranged
are the days we spend at sea

and so the structure of the craft 
and how we learn to sail
the Comet, Star and so the raft
is more by try and fail

so as we serve and strike for rate
we each look for a role
to help us find if our own fate 
is written on our soul

and a lucky few have shared a berth
with a true and solid mate
a sailor who has sailed the earth
and stood to every fate

whose example kept the nippers square
and whose thoughts improved my skill
but it was mostly joy that he did share
and I recall it still

you know Trapper, my ole mate
he truly is the best
and when I face my final fate
he'll help me pass the test


On Wharf Creek
20 September 2008
J.C. McCracken



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said John. Thank you.