Monday, September 22, 2008

From Curt Wells

All,

Nicely done Alex and Jon, my turn.

What I admire and remember most about Trapper is he was a giver. I never
raced Star boats but we would talk for hours about tiny aspects of the
sailboat racing game. He truly loved the sport and there were no secrets.
Trapper shared all he knew (and he knew a lot) with whomever would listen.
He had access (through his employer) to these tiny mints that would explode
into your mouth and knock your socks off. Every month he would mention that
he might be able to get his hands on the very last container on the East
Coast. He'd run down to his car, grab a tin of mints and return. I of
course bought him a drink and had my mint supply for the month. This went
on for years.

Trapper loved to tell stories. Deliveries in and around the Islands, Mon
were his favorite. I would listen for hours on the deck of EYC as he spoke
of navigating back to Annapolis with only a compass, a VHF radio and one
Island chart as his tools. "I know the bay, who needs a chart" he would
query. Simple logic, but still..... I too celebrate his passing. Learn
from his humble giving, and his lack of need for the material things in
life. I aspire to selfessly share as he did, to truly give to others
without expecting anything in return. I miss his life lessons and welcome
the day we meet again on the other side of God's race course.

Curt

No comments: