Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Trapper story

I would say back in about 1990 or so I was out with Hawkeye in the naval academy rib watching some spring time weekend racing. Hawkeye says to me hey there some Star boats racing out of the west river; you could tell they were Stars because the way they just shine from a distance like no others. So we headed down towards Thomas point, there must have been about 15 boats racing, we parked ourselves at the windward mark to watch. Then I say to Hawkeye, “look at this dude rounding in third, what the hell he’s by himself!”, in only a way Hawkeye could say it; “Chrriiist that’s Trapper” so we go speeding towards him after he sets the pole and starts in on passing the 2nd place boat, we pull up close and he takes one look at me and says “how much do you weigh? I yelled back 220 but I’ve never race Stars, he then told me to get my ass on the boat rite now, I jump on, he throw the harness at me and somehow I figured out how the thing fits on just in time for the leeward mark. He coached me through getting everything back in the boat and around we went without any real problems. He taught me how to race Stars and we raced the entire summer & fall season together, we could’nt beat Johnny Mac (hell still can’t beat him today) but we had some close seconds and thirds against some pretty good people back then.

Then there was that time when the TV fell on Trappers head at the Chart House! I told Trapper to stay we’ll down and call Steve Kling!!!, “that’s a lot of new Star boats that just fell on your head Trap”, no he just jumped up and we all drank on the house that evening, one of many classic moments.

Trapper, thank you very much for taking the time to teach me to race Star boats. Listen to your doctors as it sound like you have some of the best. Katie and I are sending our love and prayers for you to start feeling better.

Stay strong, your friend,

John Boone-

No comments: