Saturday, October 4, 2008

Old Times

Not at all sure if this will work, but I am writing to reflect on some early times sailing with Trapper. I crewed for him on his Duster in the 1960's. During the Nationals, a shroud came off the spreader tip and I went up the mast to try and re-attach it. Everyone thought Trapper had gotten angry and chased me up the mast, but that is NOT true! What was remarkable is that he kept the boat upright in spite of heavy air and a nasty chop, and me up the mast! It was a lesson in seamanship beyond his racing ability.
Over the last 12 years, I would visit him at SSA in my travels, and we talked about things beyond sailing. I came to realize he was much more complex than remembered as a schoolboy. He had taken up painting in oils for a time, and had some startling things to say about his life.
Despite not seeing him much, I will always remember him for his outrageous humor and outlandish pranks. And I will miss him, as much as his very extended family (whether related or not).
My best wishes to all of his family, friends, and sailors.
-Jeff Wightman, Gardiner, NY

No comments: